Friday, August 24, 2007

Project Server 2007 Overview Presentation

Thank you for those who came to MOSSIG and stayed on for my session, I know we were running out of time and your presence was very much appreciated by myself and the MOSSIG board.

You can retrieve my presentation slide deck at the MOSSIG Site or you can click here to get to the slide straight away.

There were a few interesting questions that were raised during the session. One of them was since Project Server 2007 is built on SharePoint, how does search work. From a logical perspective and mind you I've not tested this yet; I think:

  1. All Project Workspace information (Risk, Issues, Deliverables) will be searchable if it has been included in the search settings.
  2. I'm quite sure project plans and tasks may not be searchable as they sit in seperate databases unless the Business Data Catalog was configured to go get the information from the Project Server database, but why would you do that? Wouldn't it be better to built reports around this information? Resources can search for their task within their own "My Tasks".
  3. Although Project Server is built on top of SharePoint it does not store the data of Project Server in it's Content DB's, perhaps the configuration of project server on sharepoint but not the actual project information (i.e. project plan, tasks, assignments, actuals, updates, resource information).

I'll probably do a role based presentation (business focused) the next time at MOSSIG on how the different roles (Executives, PM, Resources) would interact with each other on the an EPM solution! I just need a faster machine!

No comments: